A student from Nnamdi Azikiwe University in Awka, Anambra State, and an as yet unidentified man were found dead in a private hostel near the institution’s campus on Sunday.
The decomposing bodies of the deceased were discovered after the door was forced open following the stench in the room.
A student residing in the building, who spoke to the Nigeria News Agency on the condition that his name not be published, said a relative of the deceased woman visited him after several days of calling phone no answer.
The source said the room was rented by the deceased while the man was said to be visiting.
The source said some hostel residents after the incident were now sleeping at their friends’ hostels out of fear. while others are considering moving following the traumatic experience.
Confirming the incident, NAU Chief Security Officer Chief Ken Chukwurah said the deceased woman was a Level 100 student at the institution, while the unidentified deceased was not a student of the institution. NAU.
He said the hostel was private, adding that many owners who build such hostels were often complacent with safety and security precautions.
Chukwurah said there were no clues as to the cause of the deaths, but nearby was a generator, which reportedly ran until it ran out of fuel.
The office of the NAU Chief of Security further stated that only an autopsy could reveal the cause.
The CSO said the institution will step up its engagement with private hostel providers to ensure better safety and well-being for students outside of school.
Meanwhile, Anambra State Police Command Commissioner Echeng Echeng ordered an investigation into the matter.
DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, the state police public relations officer, said in a statement on Monday that the preliminary investigation revealed that fumes from the generator may have been the cause of death.
Ikenga said the bodies were evacuated and taken to the morgue, adding that no signs of violence were found on them.
He warned the general public, especially users of generators, to keep them at a safe distance to avoid inhaling toxic fumes like carbon monoxide.